Monday, April 26, 2004

Frog's Visit

Typing at my computer, I sit next to the basement window with a view of the sky and the lawn above. Sometimes, I have visitors — dead leaves from last fall, a plastic bag on the loose, bits of bright green clippings from the mower, a dandelion struggling toward the sun. And once, there was a frog.

I might have failed to notice, but he jumped against the window, gently knocked two times, then three. And as I watched, he slowly climbed the wire mesh screen, inserted tiny legs in small square holes and pulled, straining for the top. He fell and stayed so still that I lost track, went back to typing until he knocked again. He stopped and sat astride a leaf and stared in silence as it rained.

I’m not quite sure that I can do the moment justice. It seems that I too often miss the beauty of the everyday. I focus on computer screen, my link with other places, other people, other things I have to do. But God, in His wisdom, all the while is whispering in my ear to look away from monitor, just for a moment, and marvel in what He has made. In the midst of my busy-ness, God intervenes, invites me for a walk in the garden.

“But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! By taking a long and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can’t see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of His divine being.” Romans 1:19, 20 (The Message)

Read more at Barclay Press.