Saturday, October 29, 2005


Why I Left Church


Is there really anything
wrong with the church, or is the problem with me?

As a kid, I loved going to church because it was fun: playing hide and seek in the basement, climbing trees in the front yard, debating with my Sunday school friends over the most effective torture methods, the dessert table at potlucks, singing, hanging out for hours in the library, arguing with my teachers over the interpretation or application of a new idea.

People at church made me feel special. People at church made me feel important. People at church made me think.

But something happened while I was away at college. And when I came back, church just wasn’t fun any more.

People no longer seemed to care about me. They were more interested in the children that filled our vacation Bible school and Sunday school programs.

People no longer praised my work. Instead, they made me feel guilty when the service I offered as a gift didn’t meet their standards or expectations.

People no longer wanted me to think. They were threatened by my questions and sometimes wondered aloud if I were even a Christian.

Of course, these are sweeping generalizations. I did have positive experiences as an adult in the church. But not enough to convince me it was worth my while to stay.

Sometimes, looking back, I wonder, “Is there really anything wrong with the church, or is the problem with me?” I want to believe it’s just me. But I can’t. That would be too easy.

4 comments:

Eric Muhr said...

Thanks for the response, Jon. I know there are other people out there with similar experiences. I keep hoping I'll stumble across some kind of answer — a way of being church without having to do it the way it's being done.

Aj Schwanz said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Eric: they make my heart sad, but they're real and should be shared. Currently I'm blessed to be part of a worship gathering that recognizes that things aren't right and are seeking collectively for God's direction: for our daily lives and our corporate lives. This came about as I asked questions and found sympathetic spirits. Do you have anyone you can process with, seek the heart of Christ in this matter? I know some folks who were really excited at YM hearing what was happening with you and your connections: do you think God's going to use this experience to forge stronger bonds with those?

Eric Muhr said...

I appreciate the words of concern and support, Aj. Although it is possible for small groups of people to be both vulnerable and loving, I am convinced that church as an institution no longer speaks redemptively into our culture in ways that it may have once done. Yes, there are traditional kinds of faith communities that are growing and apparently healthy, but more and more, these are the exception rather than the rule.

I have not given up on community. I have not given up on Christianity. I have not given up on Christians. But the world is ripe for new expressions and forms. This is why we are seeing an explosion of missional communities, new monasticism, emergent church.

Some are eager to throw away the old in order to usher in the new. I am convinced, however, that in those new communities that ultimately survive and flourish, the old will be valued as an important foundation that God has used and will use on which to continue building and creating. His kingdom has come, and it's spreading.

EKENYERENGOZI Michael Chima said...

What is Church?
There are churches everywhere.
But not all churches are for God.
The fake churches are more in number than the true churches.

The church is not the building.

The true living Church is the Holy Body of Jesus Christ where sin is an abomination. And obedience to the Word of God is better than sacrifice.

Jesus Christ made it absolutely clear in Matthew 18:18-20 of the Holy Bible.

The church is not the "Sunday-Sunday" social gatherings to play "church".

The church is anywhere two or three and more true believers in Jesus Christ are to fellowship and worship the Almighty God. And it could be in your house or anywhere.

What matters most is that you must fellowship and worship in truth and in spirit to honour God.

Our faith is our strength.

DON'T FORSAKE THE ASSEMBLY OF BELIEVERS.

God bless you always.